Wednesday, December 12, 2012

An open letter to Mr. Stephen King

Dear Mr. King:


I know that you'll never read this, but I so want to get all of this said, that I'm going to just say it.

A long time ago, my Gram sent me a book titled Carrie.  She said she thought the fellow who'd written it had some more books in him, and if I liked this one, she'd keep them coming.  I liked it.  Today, I own every book you have written, many of your articles, and all of the shorts you had done just for audio.  And I am gifting those things, but for the audio, to friends.  I am giving them away because soon I will not be able to read them anymore.  I have chronic corneal dystrophy which means my cornea cells are dying.  Surely, in time, I would be eligible for cornea transplants, but I'm not putting my name on that list.  I won't take the corneas that a younger person needs.  I have read thousands of books, and I have traveled the world.  I have seen the faces of my loved ones, and I have seen the sky full of stars.  I have seen.  Let the gift of sight go to one who has never been able to see.

I must say, Sir, that you use a lot of words in your books.  I hasten to add that every one of them is the right word, but do you know how much it costs to mail your books?  Those are big books!  They're heavy!

And speaking of your books, Mr. King, in reference to Cell, I must ask ... And?

Surely that wasn't the end.  Did it work?  Did it have broader application?  What was the world like then?  What was left after the virus was wiped out?  Surely, Sir, there is more.  You are not generally accused of leaving one hanging without resolution (never mind The Dark Tower Series just now) and you've left America hanging here.  Is there a sequel?

I am in the process of gathering audio versions of everything I can find that you wrote.  And I have a request.  Mr. King, please don't let them abridge your books for audio!  Your words are the right ones.  Don't let some publishing company hack tear your books apart.  Stand, Mr. King.

I am,

Your Constant Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment

No nasty words please. Feel free to disagree, but let's do so civilly.